Your IT infrastructure is what allows your business to carry out its daily operations. As such, your IT plays an important role in the success of your company. That’s why it’s a big problem when your technology isn’t working the way you need it to. When technical issues emerge, it’s important to have a reliable IT solution.
Break-Fix vs Managed Services
Outsourced IT comes in two flavors: the break-fix support model and managed IT services. Both choices share a few similarities, but there are also important distinctions you should keep in mind. This begs the question, which service better fits the needs of your business? In order to answer that question, you first have to understand what the services are and how they differ from each other.
What Is a Break-Fix Model?
Beginning with the break-fix model, this IT service involves reaching out to an IT provider to fix problems as they happen or to provide updates when they’re needed. For example, if your computer was infected with a virus, you would simply get in contact with a break-fix model vendor that could come over and remove the virus for you.
At one time, the break-fix model was the primary solution for solving IT problems. On the surface, it sounds like a reasonable approach, but it’s far from an ideal solution. You don’t want to be reactively responding to IT problems when they can be prevented instead.
What Are Managed Services?
The break-fix model is making its way out the door because it can’t keep up with the benefits managed services offer. Here are some things you can expect from managed IT:
- Predictable costs: MSPs provide their service using a monthly or annual subscription fee. Knowing exactly what to expect allows you to easily budget your IT expenses.
- Stability: An MSP proactively manages your IT, so your technology stays up to date with optimal performance.
- Prevention: An MSP can identify abnormal activity in your network and prevent security problems before they have an impact on the end user.
- Contracts: It’s not uncommon for MSP to require a contract, which may be too much of a commitment for some business owners.
- IT is managed for you: An MSP shapes your IT infrastructure, depending on the needs of your business. You still have control over your IT environment, but not total control.
What Are Managed Services?
On the other hand, there’s the managed services approach. Similar to a break-fix solution, you’re using an outsourced provider for your IT support. However, managed services take a proactive approach to IT. Meaning, instead of waiting for an issue to pop up, your managed service provider (MSP) takes measures to prevent issues in addition to resolving them.
With a managed services model, a third-party vendor can handle all of your current and future IT needs. Through monitoring and support, they have the ability to identify potential issues before they can become something that disrupts operations. Managed services can also offer a variety of services outside simple fixes ranging from cyber security to IT consulting and everything in between.
Break-Fix Pros and Cons
The break-fix model offers a few benefits; however, the disadvantages tend to outweigh the advantages. To provide a clearer picture, here are some of the pros and cons to consider:
- No monthly costs or contracts: If your company has little to almost no need for IT support, this option may be for you since you don’t have to sign a contract or pay a monthly fee to get service.
- Simplicity: This is an on-demand solution, so you only receive service when you request it.
- Unpredictable costs: With this option, it’s almost impossible to plan IT expenses. Every provider offers varying rates, so you may get blindsided by the price of service. Also, you never know how often you’re going to need IT support, which can make a break-fix solution expensive.
- Lack of familiarity: A technician who is exposed to your infrastructure for the first time won’t be familiar with your IT environment. This unfamiliarity can make it harder to find a solution that supports your business goals.
- Higher risk: Relying on a break-fix solution is a lot like gambling. You’re betting on the slim chance that nothing serious happens with your technology.
Get Industry-Leading Managed Service
Tech Turnaround is an IT provider that strives to provide high-quality services our customers can count on. From cyber security to IT strategic planning, we provide the solutions to keep your business running smoothly. If your business needs IT service, let our team help you get your infrastructure back on the right track.
If you’d like to know more about this topic or our services, contact us today.
Get In Touch